formerly Akeret haBayit in Training

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Elul (August 31-Sept.31)


As we traveled home from shul yesterday, tropical storm Hanna rained heavily down on us.The wind was blowing so strong that the street lights were swinging almost violently. But I didn't pay much attention. Praise and worship had been beautiful, and my heart was full. It still is. It is full because G-d is showing me areas in my life which I must surrender to Him, sinful patterns in my life, and things I need to work on. Indeed, He has been gradually showing me these things(Iwon't specify things because it would take too long :) But I am not full of despair and discouragement, as I once would have been, because I know Hashem(G-d) is showing me these things for my good, to help to become "all glorious within'', so that I may glorify Him even more with my life,even as He purifies me. You may be wondering, "But what does this have to do with the month of Elul?"
Elul is the last month of the Jewish year,which means Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are only a few weeks away .It is a month of introspection. It is a time to take time to sit back and think,"What spiritual,mental,or even physical progress have I made this year?" "Have I followed Hashem in all areas of my life, and dome His will?" "What is it He would have me work on this coming year?" It is important that we take an honest look at ourselves. is so easy to look at ourselves favorably and make excuses for why we do the things we do,and not measure ourselves by the same measuring stick we measure others.
So as I continue "my journey to becoming all glorious within" , and preparing for the High Holy days,it will be a hard process" cleaning out the clutter" in my heart, but in the end, I will be able to move forward in my relationship with G-d , giving Him all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your presence. Feel free to share your opinions and perspectives in good spirit! :)