formerly Akeret haBayit in Training

Monday, June 8, 2009

Modesty and Going against the Current


Modesty is important. I believe it is important to be modest, and I also think it is helpful for young ladies saving themselves in purity for their future husbands. It is important to conserve romance, feelings, love and romantic physical affection(keep in safety and protect from harm, decay, loss, or destruction) for your mate. The clothing you wear can help to protect you from being viewed in a dishonorable way. You aren't exactly what you wear, but your outside speaks of your inside.
How you and your family view modesty is personal, but I think the following two reasons should be in every one's list of reasons. :D
  • First and foremost, to honor G-d and please Him above all.
  • Second, to conserve yourself( see above definition) for your future husband and for the sake of your own testimony.
I have often struggled with modesty. I want to "fit in" sometimes. I don't want people to look at me and the first thing they think is that I dress weird. But it is up to them if they want to judge me by my outside before they get to know the inside. Aren't there alot of movies about that problem? :) It is sometimes a struggle when there are two roads to choose- honoring G-d (the narrow one) and pleasing the world (the too broad one). It is difficult to swim against the world's current in the things you do, and you can get frustrated, tired, and lonely. But I think it might be worth it, especially if we want to be able to apply the following verses to ourselves.
  • "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24 NIV

  • "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. " 1 Corinthians 9:24
  • "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. " 2 Timothy 4:7
  • "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. " Hebrew 12:1
I sure want to be committed and able to say in the long run that I have run my race for Him well. So whether you swim against the world's current by dressing modestly or not dating, it is worth it. And when you get tired or lonely, you can receive motivation and strength from these verses.

My regards,
The Author

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your presence. Feel free to share your opinions and perspectives in good spirit! :)