formerly Akeret haBayit in Training

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Character Connection:Gertrude Flint

From Evernote:

Character Connection:Gertrude Flint

Clipped from: http://www.theintrovertedreader.com/2011/02/character-connection-deeba.html

"Don't you just love larger-than-life characters? The ones who jump off the page and grab you? Whether you love them or hate them, you can't be indifferent to them.

I would love to know about the characters who just won't leave you! Most of you will probably post about how much you love (or loathe) each character, but this is a great place for the more creative ones among you to let go and have fun! Write yourself into a scene with Anne and Diana. Write a love poem in elvish for Aragorn. Draw a picture of Harry obliterating Voldemort. The possibilities are endless.

Be sure to post the book's title and author, and be very careful not to give away spoilers while talking about how much you love your characters.

Mr. Linky will be posted here on The Introverted Reader every Thursday."



Though her name is so odd,as she is herself, Gertrude Flint is one of my absolutely favorite characters. Ever. The heroine of little known Maria Cummins book, The Lamplighter, she has been beloved by me since I was about 8 or 9. One of the first 19th century books I ever read-indeed, one of the first lengthy books I had ever read. If you question the interestingness of this novel about a young,mistreated orphan girl taken in by a kindly old lamplighter and the many twists and turns her story takes, I can tell you that it has captivated me over and over for almost 10 years. I recently finished re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re reading it. :) 
Why I connect to Gertrude: Gertrude is one of those not so frequent characters that develop and grow consistently throughout the book, and who approaches trials realistically and practically, which very much appeals to my nature. :) While keeping her faults under constraint, she is nonetheless true to herself and directs her fiery yet deep impulses towards positivity. And she is such an original character. Originality is very endearing to me. :) 
Her good qualities (faithfully and unreservedly loving those who prove themselves worthy of it) are also realistic and not over-dramatic. 
I could go on and on about this book and its several awesome characters and plots, but I would highly recommend you read it for yourself. Its available as audio for free at librivox.org 

until next time!
a lover of literature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your presence. Feel free to share your opinions and perspectives in good spirit! :)